December 10, 2010

DADT vote fails; my thoughts

Even after Obama caved on the tax cuts, the GOP has thanked him by... giving him NOTHING.

Driving home from work today, I was scanning the radio, and came across what turned out to be Sean Hannity's radio show. He was talking about how the blame doesn't rest entirely on the shoulders of the GOP, and that the Democrats should stop Demonizing the GOP when the Democrats vote the same way.

I think this may be the first time I actually agree with Sean Hannity.

Democrats voted with Republicans in blocking DADT.

Now, I've been following politics, and working on campaigns since I was in high school. Let me let you in on a little secret that I've learned along the way: Federal Level Politicians don't give a shit about you, or your issues, unless they can use them to get you to vote for them.

That's right! I know-- shocking. Politicians lie through their teeth about what they are going to get done when you elect them. Why? Because most don't see themselves as beholden to you. They are beholden to their monied donors. Are you rolling in cash? Then who gives a fuck what you have to say?

But that's not all. There's a second half to this equation. You, the voter, make yourself irrelevant every fucking election cycle by buying into their bullshit. That if you don't elect the Democrat/Republican the gays will; be put in camps/destroy America.

They don't give a shit about gay marriage. They don't give a shit about DADT. It's a wedge issue, as I cover in this video:



It hitting your head against the wall hurts your head, maybe you should stop doing it. Stop voting for people who lie to you.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think municipal and state level politicians are more beholden to the public? (Not a rhetorical question)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think so, yes. Which is ironic, as most people don't even know who their state and municipal level politicians are.

    However, those that do know who they are, are able to call them up, go over to their house and knock on their door, or as I have, sit them down with a Documentary about an issue, make them watch it, and get their reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's unfortunately very true. Most people when I ask about state legislators, tell me "they don't matter, so why should I care about them?" Same goes with municipal representatives as well.

    I asked because, it seems from what I'm observing, state legislators tend to be far more responsive than federal legislators, just about everywhere in the country.

    Honestly, I think I'm going to devote most of my political action towards state legislators (and municipal ones as well), rather than our federal representatives. I just don't see much return on investment putting so much energy trying to get Nancy Pelosi to even remotely represent her base.

    Were you ever even able to talk to your federal representatives?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had audience with my federal reps, no.

    ReplyDelete